Saturday, July 20, 2013

Kamanthian Characters: Obsession's Cold Comfort -- Larina

The Kamanthian characters have long-standing passions central to their  life-quests, and what they face in the Lair of Beasts impacts each of them at a deep, personal level as well as Kamanthia as a whole. 
But first things first.  Catalystica brings them together and into the Lair. Transformations of heart are possible but choices in the Lair aren't always what the characters expect. 

Larina:

Feed it or let it starve. 

That's what my father told the Kasana priestess when he and mother surrendered me to the orphanage.  They wanted a boy-child, but I was a girl.

When I was old enough, they had to fulfill the obligation of surrendering parents. They took me to Academy and apprenticed me to the sword instructor, Manion.

Teach her so she doesn't cut off her own feet.

They didn't look back as they left.

But I know how to win their love. I've excelled with the sword beyond anything they could imagine, and Sunsheen is the perfect blade. I only need to find and kill a dragon, just like the hero in Chants of Charred Bones

Mighty the valor, mighty the sword
Great the renown, great the reward
to one who brings the dragon down ...

I'll prove I wasn't a waste of birthing sheets.

I'll prove I'm worthy of their approval, worthy of their love.

If not love, then fear.

 

                 

No comments:

Post a Comment